Drought support in the NT

The Northern Territory Government (NTG) does not have a formal drought  declaration process. However the Department of Primary  Industry and Resources (DPIR) officers based throughout the Territory track  rainfall and pasture growth conditions. Quarterly updates are provided through the Pastoral  Feed Outlook .  The March outlook is found later in this Rural Review.

The Australian Government has made funding available to  producers who have been affected by drought conditions. Drought Concessional Loans of up to $1 million are delivered  through the national Regional Investment Corporation (RIC). Further information  is available from the Regional  Investment Corporation website or by calling 1800 875 675.

Rural Financial  Counselling Services (RFCS) are available to support producers with free  independent and confidential support and business analysis, including help with  applications for available government financial assistance schemes. RFCS are  provided by Rural Business Support (RBS) based in Adelaide, with Counsellors  making regular visits to the NT to meet with clients. RBS can be contacted on  1800 836 211.

The Farm Household  Allowance (FHA) provides assistance to farming families experiencing  financial hardship. The FHA is administered by the Department  of Human Services,  refer to their website for further information.

DPIR has now opened the On-Farm  Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate Scheme in the Territory. This scheme  is available to eligible producers to implement new water infrastructure for  livestock watering with a rebate of up to 25 per cent of costs available. For  further information visit the NTG  website or  contact Mr David Collinson on 8936 4089 or email david.collinson@nt.gov.au.

Producers are encouraged to visit the National Farmers Federation Farm Hub for a comprehensive list of support schemes available for each the Territory.

Last updated: 10 April 2019

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!