What the department does
The Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade through Workforce NT oversees the strategic direction and management of the apprenticeship and traineeship system in the NT. It is responsible for:
- providing leadership and quality assurance through the development of strategic policy on the implementation, operation, maintenance, funding and incentives for apprenticeships and traineeships in the NT
- determining and approving the types of apprenticeships and traineeships available in the NT, based on industry advice and identified need
- managing the contract with Australian Apprenticeships Support Network provider for outsourced regulatory and support services to apprentices, trainees and employers
- providing funding to approved registered training organisations (RTOs) for the delivery of training services
- monitoring the quality of delivery and outcomes for apprenticeships and traineeships, and
- promoting and providing information on the apprenticeship system and its products.
Apprenticeships and traineeships are available in the NT at Certificate II through to Advanced Diploma levels in many occupations.
Apprenticeships are generally available in traditional trades, with traineeships available in a diverse range of occupations in most sectors of industry, business and community services.
Apprenticeships and traineeships are not available at the Certificate I level as these qualifications are more appropriate as pre-employment programs.
The Northern Territory Training and Skills Development Act
The Northern Territory Training and Skills Development Act sets out the requirements for:
- the approval of the types of apprenticeship and traineeship qualifications available in the NT
- the approval of employers taking on apprentices and trainees
- approving and registration of contracts of training
- ensuring the training plan is developed within the probationary period
- employer obligations
- registered training organisation requirements, and
- the handling of disputes.
Apprenticeship and traineeship qualifications that are approved for delivery in the NT are listed on the NT apprenticeships and traineeships database.
Last updated: 09 November 2020
Share this page:URL copied!