Step by step guide for employers
There are several steps in the Northern Territory Designated Area Migration Agreement (NT DAMA) process.
Before you apply
- Check whether the position you need to fill is on the NT DAMA occupations list.
- Check your business’ eligibility for the NT DAMA.
- Determine your workforce demand: how many overseas workers will you need to nominate under the program in each year of the labour agreement?
- Labour agreements are valid for 5 years. However, we can only endorse positions for each year of the labour agreement that begins before the expiry of the current NT DAMA (i.e. before 13 December 2023). For example, if your first endorsement application is made in October 2022, we can endorse the business to nominate workers for the first and 2nd year.
- Determine the visa subclass that you wish to nominate against. You can nominate workers under the 4-year TSS visa, the 5-year SESR visa or the ENS permanent pathway (only applicable for sponsoring eligible TSS or subclass 457 workers for permanent residency). Each of these have different requirements as to the worker’s skills and age. For these details read the NT DAMA occupation list and the qualifications and experience requirements.
Your business needs to apply to the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade for endorsement.
Create an online application and submit with the supporting documentation in the checklist.
You will need to register an account before you can make an application. Registered migration agents/lawyers who have an online account for lodging NT nominations under the General Skilled Migration program can use the same account for lodging NT DAMA applications.
If your business is eligible to access NT DAMA, a letter of endorsement and copies of the supporting documents will be sent to the Australian Government and your business.
Checklist for supporting documents
|1.||Business registration documents:|
Evidence of the business is operating in the Northern Territory (NT). May include:
|3.||Job descriptions for each requested position.|
Organisation chart less than 6 months old. Highlight the positions requested for endorsement; and provide the following information for all the staff:
Audited financial statement for the mostly recently concluded financial year and business activity statement for each quarter of the current financial year.
If the information is not available, provide a letter from an accountant detailing the business net profit and financial capability to sponsor workers in the requested positions.
If the business has any adverse information (e.g. adverse finding in relation to compliance with immigration, taxation or employment law) - a statutory declaration detailing the information, attach evidence of outcome (if any), and details of steps taken by the business rectify identified issues.
For more information on adverse information go to the Department of Home Affairs website.
Evidence of domestic recruitment efforts for each requested position including:
Evidence to prove the nominee receives terms and conditions no less favourable than those provided to an Australian citizen or permanent resident:
Provide this evidence for each requested position.
Read more information on the salary requirements to nominate a worker on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Provide above evidence for each requested position.
Your business identifies an overseas worker that is suitably skilled and experienced for the occupation that has NT DAMA approval. You must provide each worker with a settlement package (which will be provided to you) before the worker lodges their visa application.
Some occupations require skills verifications from the department. Read more about qualifications and experience.
When the verification is completed the department will issue a skills verification letter to be included with the overseas workers visa application.
If your nominated occupation requires a skills assessment from MigrationNT, please complete and submit the skills assessment application form together with supporting documents by email to email@example.com.
Get the MigrationNT skills assessment application .
When the skills assessment is completed, MigrationNT will issue a skills verification letter to be included with the overseas worker’s visa application.
Your overseas worker can then apply for a visa.
Last updated: 23 September 2022
Share this page:URL copied!