Modern cotton trials
Cotton is a natural, premium, profitable and diverse fibre, with the potential to become a reliable cornerstone of the Northern Territory’s (NT) agriculture industry. With the Territory’s favourable tropical weather conditions and the implementation of modern technologies, there is increasing interest in growing cotton.
Australia’s cotton industry is one of the most water efficient industries with modern cotton requiring 40 per cent less water to produce one tonne of cotton lint than 10-15 years ago.
In 2019/20 800 hectares of cotton was sown in the Territory across six properties in the Katherine and Top End regions, of which 80 per cent of the total area was rain-fed. Rain-fed farming, also known as dryland farming, uses the Top End’s annual wet season rainfall as the primary water source.
It is anticipated that approximately 80 per cent of a future NT cotton industry will be developed using rain-fed cropping strategies, also known as dryland farming. The remaining 20 per cent will likely be supplemented by irrigation where adequate water resources are already allocated and matched to suitable soils.
Currently, 98 per cent of cotton grown in Australia is genetically modified. The cotton trials at Katherine Research Station have included significant testing of new technologies, modern cotton varieties, production systems and contemporary agronomic methods to build local expertise in optimising growth, production and sustainability.
The Bollgard3 cotton variety currently in use has three Bacillus thuringensis (Bt) genes for pest resistance, which protect the crop against a broader range of pests including those prevalent in the wet season.
Australian cotton growers produce some of the best quality fibre cotton in the world with additional market opportunities for lint and seed by-products. The diversity of cotton crops allows many parts of the plant to be used from the lint, which is processed to produce yarn, and lint and seed by-products which are processed into oil, meal and hulls for human consumption, the production of soaps and cosmetics and as part of livestock feed.
For more information on growing cotton in the NT:
- Modern cotton brochure PDF (3.3 MB)
- PricewaterhouseCoopers feasibility study and business plan for a modern cotton industry in the Territory
- Potential for broadacre cropping in the NT (CRCNA 2019-2022 project) PDF (5.5 MB)
- NT Farmers YouTube video: Modern Cotton
- DITT YouTube videos
Last updated: 26 June 2020
Share this page:URL copied!