Summary table

Summary of the differences between the Temporary Residence Transition stream and the Direct Entry stream of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa.

Summary of the differences between the two streams
Stream Temporary Residence Transition stream Direct Entry stream
Who is this for? The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa or subclass 482 (Medium-term stream) visa holders who have worked for two years and their employer wants to offer them a permanent position. The Direct Entry stream is for people who are onshore and have not held a subclass 457 visa or subclass 482 (Medium-term stream) visa for the last two years, or if they are applying directly from outside Australia.
Employee criteria The employee's skills do not need to be assessed because they have already worked for the nominating employer for two years in Australia. The employee must have at least competent English (International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0 in each band or equivalent). The employee's qualifications and skills are relevant to the nominated occupation. Have competent English (IELTS 6.0 in each band or equivalent).
Employer criteria
  • Operate an active and lawful business in regional Australia (all of the Northern Territory (NT)).
  • Have a genuine need for a paid employee to fill a skilled position.
  • Offer a skilled position in the applicant's field that is full-time and ongoing for at least two years.
  • Pay a market salary rate. This rate cannot be lower that the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT). Currently (28 March 2018) the TSMIT is $53,900 per annum.
  • Comply with Australian immigration and workplace relations laws.
  • Have no adverse information against you or your business.
  • Nominate a skilled position. This position must be:
    • for Direct Entry stream this position must be an occupation that is on the applicable occupation list; for applications to the Department of Home Affairs for approval of a nomination made: It is your responsibility to determine which list applies to your situation and to obtain advice if unsure.
    • for Temporary Residence Transition stream this position must be consistent or similar to the position sponsored by the Standard Business Sponsor under the subclass 457 visa program or subclass 482 (Medium-term stream) visa program.
  • for the Temporary Residence Transition stream the business continues or is committed to meet the training requirements under the subclass 457 visa program until such time as they are replaced with a mandatory annual training levy.
Where and how do you apply? The employer and employee apply direct to Department of Home Affairs electronically. The NT regional certifying body (RCB) is not involved in this process. The employer and employee apply electronically directly to Department of Home Affairs. In addition either prior to or after applying to Department of Home Affairs, a request for advice is made to the NT RCB (form 1404 and supporting documents).

Last updated: 03 April 2018

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.