About the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) enables regional employers to employ skilled overseas nationals to fill genuine, full time positions where it can be shown that these positions cannot be filled from within the local labour market.

The whole of the Northern Territory (NT) is considered regional for the purposes of RSMS.

There are two RSMS streams, the Temporary Residence Transition stream and the Direct Entry stream. Each of these streams has different eligibility criteria, requirements and application processes.

The NT Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade has been appointed by the Department of Home Affairs as the regional certifying body (RCB) for all RSMS Direct Entry stream nominations by NT employers.

  • Temporary Residence Transition stream
    This streamlined visa pathway enables regional employers to nominate an overseas skilled worker for permanent residence if that worker:
    • is currently on a subclass 457 visa or subclass 482 (Medium-term stream) visa working for the nominating employer, and
    • has held a subclass 457 visa or subclass 482 (Medium-term stream) visa and worked for the nominating employer in the nominated occupation (or a very closely related occupation) for two years.

    NT RCB assessment is not required for RSMS nominations under the Temporary Residence Transition stream.

  • Direct Entry stream
    This is a permanent residence visa pathway that enables a regional employer to sponsor a skilled overseas worker directly from overseas or an overseas national who is in Australia but is not eligible to be sponsored under the Temporary Residence Transition stream.

    NT RCB assessment is required for RSMS nominations under the Direct Entry stream.

    For detailed information about this pathway and processes go to the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs website.

Last updated: 03 April 2018

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.