Production approach: GSP (P)
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics catalogue number 5220.0
Gross value added
In 2019-20, the gross value added of all industries was $25.0 billion, an increase of 6.1% from the previous year.
The largest sectors in 2019-20 were:
- mining ($7.5 billion)
- public administration and safety ($3.1 billion)
- health care and social assistance ($1.9 billion)
- construction ($1.5 billion)
- education and training ($1.2 billion).
The sectors that reported growth in 2019-20 were:
- mining (39.7%)
- health care and social assistance (3.5%)
- public administration and safety (3.0%)
- financial and insurance services (1.0%)
- electricity, gas and water services (0.9%).
All other sectors reported declines in the year, with the largest declines in:
- wholesale trade (-19.9%)
- construction (-15.7%)
- transport, postal, and warehousing (-11.0%)
- professional, scientific and technical services (-10.3%)
- accommodation and food services (-8.1%).
In 2019-20, the major contributors to GSP growth were:
- mining (8.6 percentage points)
- public administration and safety (0.4 percentage points)
- health care and social assistance (0.3 percentage points).
Last updated: 11 January 2021
Share this page: