McArthur River Mine Community Reference Group
The McArthur River Mine Community Reference Group (CRG) is being established by the Minister for Mining and Industry.
The purpose of the CRG is to:
- communicate the McArthur River Mine’s performance to the local and broader NT community
- advise on the most appropriate method for MRM to report information that is required to be made publicly available
- provide a structured forum for review and discussion on environmental objectives for adaptive management, operation, care and maintenance, mine closure and the evaluation and costing of mine closure options
- provide a forum for discussing economic and social post-mining impacts
- translate technical information into communication that is readily understood by the community, clearly stating the outcomes to be achieved and progress in achieving them for both operational and closure matters
- provide a mechanism to communicate community feedback to the Northern Territory Government and MRM regarding McArthur River Mine.
The relationships between the CRG and various parties relative to regulatory requirements is depicted in Figure 1 in the terms of reference.
Terms of reference for the CRG approved by the Minister for Mining and Industry have been developed in consultation with and approved by the Northern Territory Environment Protection Authority.
Establishment of the CRG
Call for nominations close midnight on 31 October 2021.
Written submissions nominating as Independent Chairperson or member of the CRG should be emailed to Director Mining Operations Policy and Support Andria Handley at firstname.lastname@example.org addressing the selection criteria and stating the relationship of nominees to the community group they represent.
Members will be appointed by the Minister following consideration of individual submissions made to the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade.
Selection criteria for members are consistent with NTG boards and committees policy and other community consultative committees for projects of similar size.
Information from the CRG
It is anticipated that contact information for the Independent Chairperson and members will be made public here to facilitate contact by individuals in the community keen to find out more.
Following each meeting of the CRG the Independent Chairperson will post a Communiqué outlining key points of interest to the Borroloola and wider Territory communities.
The CRG will meet at least once a year, to a maximum of four times each calendar year, with the dates to be agreed by members.
Read the terms of reference and the selection criteria before submitting your nomination.
Last updated: 11 October 2021
Share this page:URL copied!